Swap pie for a streusel-y square – these fall-festive Apple Crumble Bars are generously spiced and date sweetened, with a coconut flour crust and crumble!
Apple Date Paste
- 2 cups (265g) chopped apple
- 12–14 (240g with pits removed) pitted medjool dates
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60g) nut/seed butter
- 1 cup (300g) apple date paste ((above))
- 2/3 cup (80g) coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (150g) apple date paste ((above))
- 1–2 (360g) apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the 2 cups chopped apple and lemon juice in a high speed blender. Blend until liquified.
- Add the rest of the paste ingredients and blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the paste with the coconut flour and salt. Mix until sticky and clumpy.
- Press half of the dough into a baking pan lined with parchment paper (I used this 7.5×5.5″ glass dish). Set the rest aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sliced apples (I used a mandolin to slice them super thin) with 1/2 cup of the paste, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the crust in layers.
- Crumble the remaining crust over top. Press in lightly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F or until toasty golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!